NRL NRL Expansion

The new Caledonia issues are a worry about what could happen…

But $600m = $60m per year. Allowing $15m for the cap/ coaching staff/ juniors, etc that’s a heap left over to make it all work behind the scenes.

I could see a combination of:

1 - a significant gated community that the teams, visiting teams and security live in. A resort style enclave with shops, schools, golf course, entertainment, etc.

2 - special secure coaches that transport between the enclave, airport and ground.

3 - a marque player salary cap dispensation to entice stars.

4 - a special draw - eg you spend 2 months of home games in PNG and then 2 months of away games in Australia where they don’t return home. If the preseason was also Australia based (or split) it could be a 4 month commitment in PNG for a season and the rest Australia based for foreign players.

5 - investment in the stadium and particularly security.

You could set it up so players commit to a minimal timeframe in PNG, don’t mix with the locals and are fully secure travelling between destinations with a decent quality and safe lifestyle in a ‘bubble’. Sure the elite players won’t go there, but for those that do would have big income or an opportunity with guaranteed safety.
That sounds more promising

I was talking with a senior executive in the running of Christchurch Stadia etc who has had some discussion with proposed Christchurch expansion bids.
He said the expansion side who has gone quiet after announcing they would be in a position to reveal their pitch bid back in March had done alot of work with their bid but couldn’t say when they would be in a position to reveal all.

This should help the second NZ bid.

I think Sky has said in the past a second team would necessarily mean more money for the TV deal. But surely with the increase in interest in the NRL in general and the way the Warriors got the publics interest they would see a second team having benefits.

If they miss out for the 18th team a second NZ side would likely be in for the expansion to 19 and 20. But it would be good for the second side to come in while the NRL is doing well in NZ and launch with the new Christchurch stadium.