General Mt Smart Stadium

Looks like a banana.

What would happen to a below sea level stadium in the event of a tsunami?
The one by Bledisloe Wharf? Any structure down there would be devastated by a tsunami if the wave was high enough whether it was at ground level or below it. Then, everything in the Auckland CBD north of Fort Street is built on reclaimed land and would be destroyed or severely damaged if a large enough event occurred there. Think of it this way, the wave that hit Indonesia in 2004 was over 15m tall. Looking at Auckland Council GIS mapping system, that wave hitting Auckland is going over 900m up Queen Street to Wellesley Street… that’s a large bit off Auckland’s CBD gone!!!!

A new stadium is the way to go instead of patching up Eden Park so it finally is a modern looking stadium instead of different grandstands getting redeveloped.

If either option went ahead. I can't see a redeveloped Eden Park attracting more people to live event. If there is a big enough event on it would get well attended but I can't see week to week it being viable and we will again be hearing about financial issues and funding.

A new stadium may also have similar issues. But around the world when new stadiums get built it does lift attendance. Long term it will be up to the teams to perform and keep people attending when the novelty wears off.

But being away from the urban area will be easier for concerts etc.

The new stadium is the smarter option.

A new stadium is the way to go instead of patching up Eden Park so it finally is a modern looking stadium instead of different grandstands getting redeveloped.

If either option went ahead. I can't see a redeveloped Eden Park attracting more people to live event. If there is a big enough event on it would get well attended but I can't see week to week it being viable and we will again be hearing about financial issues and funding.

A new stadium may also have similar issues. But around the world when new stadiums get built it does lift attendance. Long term it will be up to the teams to perform and keep people attending when the novelty wears off.

But being away from the urban area will be easier for concerts etc.

The new stadium is the smarter option.
Just my opinion but the board of EP are a group of guys expecting special privileges.
I am aware of the perks they receive and will do anything to retain them

What would happen to a below sea level stadium in the event of a tsunami?
1 - Aucklands Hauraki gulf with the islands plus the coromandel peninsula is supposed to protect Auckland from major Tsunamis.

2 - below ground level the wave would wash over the top rather than slamming into it and after a bit of pumping would fair better than above ground banana stadiums.

3 - Auckland still has 4 other backup stadiums for the Warriors to play at while the pumps are running!

Back